Zero Waste Waiheke
Planning a public event? Make it a great day not a great big mess…
A Towards Zero Waste event is one in which the environmental impact of the waste generated at the event is minimised as much as possible by reducing, reusing and recycling materials instead of sending them to landfill.
By making your event Towards Zero Waste, you will:
- Have less impact on the environment
- Show the public how you are concerned about the environment
- Educate people about sustainability
The Waiheke Resources Trust hires out a comprehensive and easy to use ‘Towards Zero Waste’ kit to suit different events.
The Waste Station
Volunteers support the public to separate their waste into five different streams:
- Compostable paper
- Food Waste
- Mixed recycling
- Clean paper
Guidelines for Towards Zero Waste events
Recyclable materials are diverted from landfill with minimal contamination
Every effort is made to promote a consistent Towards Zero Waste message. For example:
- Vendors use recyclable / compostable and / or reusable packaging.
- Printed information is minimised as much as possible
- Promotional prizes and give-aways are re-useable
- Waste Stations are manned and monitored
- Food scraps and organic material is collected for composting at all stages of preparation
- Zero Waste messages and logo are used in event marketting
For more information and prices contact us
Volunteer with the Waiheke Resources Trust
We would really appreciate your assistance as a station monitor at Towards Zero Waste Events such as The Onetangi Races or Carols by Candlelight. If you’re interested, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or (09) 372 2915.
Zero Waste Ostend Market
The Ostend Market was one of the first Zero Waste markets in Aotearoa! They have committed to minimising the environmental impact of the Market even both as a way of role modelling to our tamariki, the community and its visitors their philosophy of caring for and protecting our island and planet. With support and guidance from the Waiheke Waste Resources Trust they developed Zero Waste Stations that are run by amazing volunteers each week with the support of sponsorship from Gulf Foods, Juice Revolution & Ecoware! If you would like to volunteer at the Ostend Market contact us!