A new year calls for a new season of kai gardens! As we approach February, we are preparing to start sowing new seeds and we need your help! We are currently on the lookout for supplies and awesome volunteers that can help get stuck into planting and watering. Our gardens run on the mahi and […]
What to plant now
Kai Garden stories
We are wrapping up our first season of the Kai Gardens project as the summer grows ever hotter – there’s certainly no need for a greenhouse now! We still have a few more seedlings that need to find new homes, but it has been a fantastic pilot, and there are some thanks due before we […]
Creating a hub to increase food resilience on Waiheke at a household and community level as a local response to global food insecurity
- Promoting evidence-based gardening practices
- Sharing knowledge openly for the benefit of all - e Tuku iho
- Responsibility for the long term health and sustainability of Waiheke's local environment
How will Kai Gardens Achieve this?
- Enhance local knowledge through workshops, online videos, demonstration gardens, public displays and other resources to suit a variety of ages and knowledge bases.
- Supply the Kai Conscious Café with fresh produce and herbs for seasoning.
- Promote gardening as a fun, healthy recreational activity.
- Conduct small-scale trials to determine the most productive and sustainable gardening practices.
- Identify and encourage the growing of crops that are suitable for Waiheke conditions.
- Manage a seed bank of plant varieties suitable for Waiheke