What to plant now
We have our own microclimate here on Waiheke, so the planting season can differ slightly to the rest of New Zealand. That's why WRT has a 'What to plant now' video diary with Chardy Parkes - WRT's Kai Garden coordinator. Tune in and find out how to prepare your own kai garden and gain lots of useful tips and advice.
Creating a hub to increase food resilience on Waiheke at a household and community level as a local response to global food insecurity
- Promoting evidence-based gardening practices
- Sharing knowledge openly for the benefit of all - e Tuku iho
- Responsibility for the long term health and sustainability of Waiheke's local environment
How will Kai Gardens Achieve its goals?
- Enhance local knowledge through workshops, online videos, demonstration gardens, public displays and other resources to suit a variety of ages and knowledge bases.
- Supply the Kai Conscious Café with fresh produce and herbs for seasoning.
- Promote gardening as a fun, healthy recreational activity.
- Conduct small-scale trials to determine the most productive and sustainable gardening practices.
- Identify and encourage the growing of crops that are suitable for Waiheke conditions.
- Manage a seed bank of plant varieties suitable for Waiheke