Our Kai Gardens volunteers have been doing some amazing mahi this past month, and the greenhouse is doing wonders for our seedlings! Plenty of seedlings are ready to go out […]
Creating a hub to increase food resilience on Waiheke at a household and community level as a local response to global food insecurity
- Promoting evidence-based gardening practices
- Sharing knowledge openly for the benefit of all - e Tuku iho
- Responsibility for the long term health and sustainability of Waiheke's local environment
How will Kai Gardens Achieve this?
- Enhance local knowledge through workshops, online videos, demonstration gardens, public displays and other resources to suit a variety of ages and knowledge bases.
- Supply the Kai Conscious Café with fresh produce and herbs for seasoning.
- Promote gardening as a fun, healthy recreational activity.
- Conduct small-scale trials to determine the most productive and sustainable gardening practices.
- Identify and encourage the growing of crops that are suitable for Waiheke conditions.
- Manage a seed bank of plant varieties suitable for Waiheke
If you'd like to get involved in tending to the Sustainability Centre's Kai Gardens, or have some materials or skills that you would like to donate, please get in touch with email@example.com.
Here’s the follow-up to Eddie’s seed sowing tutorial – what to do with your seedlings once they’ve sprouted! This is the time to be growing your seedlings and sowing them […]