Thanks to a generous donation from HomeGrown Waiheke, WRT was able to purchase a greenhouse for seedling raising. This past week, community members answered the call for volunteers to help […]
Creating a hub to increase food resilience on Waiheke at a household and community level as a local response to global food insecurity
- Promoting evidence-based gardening practices
- Sharing knowledge openly for the benefit of all - e Tuku iho
- Responsibility for the long term health and sustainability of Waiheke's local environment
How will Kai Gardens Achieve this?
- Enhance local knowledge through workshops, online videos, demonstration gardens, public displays and other resources to suit a variety of ages and knowledge bases.
- Supply the Kai Conscious Café with fresh produce and herbs for seasoning.
- Promote gardening as a fun, healthy recreational activity.
- Conduct small-scale trials to determine the most productive ans sustainable gardening practices.
- Identify and encourage the growing of crops that are suitable for Waiheke conditions.
- Manage a seed bank of plant varieties suitable for Waiheke
If you'd like to get involved in tending to the Sustainability Centre's Kai Gardens, or have some materials or skills that you would like to donate, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.
As winter continues, our Kai Garden is settling in for the steady growth of brassicas and fennel. The basil that flourished over summer is going to seed but there is […]