Zero Waste Waiheke
Volunteer for Zero Waste or donate today!
Planning a public event?
A Towards Zero Waste event is one in which the environmental impact of the waste generated at the event is minimised as much as possible by reducing, reusing and recycling materials instead of sending them to landfill.
By making your event Towards Zero Waste, you will:
- Have less impact on the environment
- Show the public how you are concerned about the environment
- Educate people about sustainability
The Waiheke Resources Trust hires out a comprehensive and easy to use ‘Towards Zero Waste’ kit to suit different events.
The Waste Station
Volunteers support the public to separate their waste into five different streams:
- Compostable packaging
- Food waste
- Mixed recycling
- Soft plastics
Guidelines for Towards Zero Waste events
Recyclable materials are diverted from landfill with minimal contamination
Every effort is made to promote a consistent Towards Zero Waste message. For example:
- Vendors use recyclable / compostable and / or reusable packaging.
- Printed information is minimised as much as possible
- Promotional prizes and give-aways are re-useable
- Waste Stations are manned and monitored
- Food scraps and organic material is collected for composting at all stages of preparation
- Zero Waste messages and logo are used in event marketing
Contact us for more information and prices.
Volunteer as a Zero Waste Educator
Keen to help out and educate the public about zero waste? We would love to have you onboard at Towards Zero Waste Events such as The Onetangi Races or Carols by Candlelight.
For more information about running Zero Waste Events head to zerowasteevents.org.nz.
Zero Waste Ostend Market
The Ostend Market was one of the first "towards Zero Waste" markets in Aotearoa. They have committed to minimising the environmental impact of the market even both as a way of role-modeling to our tamariki, the community and its visitors to spread their philosophy of caring for and protecting our island, and planet. With support and guidance from the Waiheke Resources Trust they developed Zero Waste stations that are run by amazing volunteers each week with the support of sponsorship from Gulf Foods, Juice Revolution & Ecoware.
If you would like to volunteer at the Ostend Market contact us